I guess things are picking up a little bit. There’s less than two weeks remaining for the Adjutant General Captains Career Course, leaving only nearly a month until I report to Pershing’s Own. It will be a great relief to get back into music full-time.
In the meantime, I did manage to finish a couple of new pieces; pieces that had been on the burners for probably waaaay too long.
The Roarsville Rag is a short grade 4 written for the Rohrersville Band. I’m really happy with the way it turned out. I wanted to introduce three melodies that combined for the finale, and I think they really come together well in a satisfying finale. Once the ending was written and I had all the melodic material ironed out, the expositions were easy. Two criteria were not met, however: I wanted to deliver the piece last year for the band’s 170th birthday, and also make it a grade 3. But I discovered that once you decide to write a rag, you’re pretty much locked into writing a fair amount of syncopation.
The other piece I finished was Montpelier Dances, a very difficult woodwind quintet composed with the Montepelier Winds of James Madison University in mind. I met them at Midwest in 2003 when they gave a clinic. I decided then that I would write a piece for them, but I cannot remember if I actually told any of them of the plan. Oh, well.
Anyway, the piece is in five contrasting movements, and each movement features one of the instruments in virtuostic fashion (each movement even features a short cadenza). Please go to my website and give it a listen; there’s a pretty decent computerized performance until I can get the real thing.
Soon, I’m sure I will beat myself up for not being more productive during this time away from crazy work hours and the wonderful chaos of a house with kids, but for now I’m content with pulling out two slow-going pieces. There’s no shortage of new ideas to tackle, though, and I think I’ll get started soon (after I do my taxes)!